Friday, September 10, 2010

Just after Nevan died, the ladies at my work put together a care basket for us, filled with p.j's, treats, bath stuff, and lots of movies. The movies were all a random selection and I watched some at the time, others I just forgot about. Tonight my friend was over and we were too lazy to go rent a movie, so we decided to watch one I had here. We watched 'The Music Within', one of the movies given to me by my coworkers. The first scene in the movie is a heavily pregnant woman rushing to the hospital to give birth. The doctor comes out of the room to give news to her family, and he just shakes his head. Cut to the woman being wheeled out of the hospital in a wheelchair crying. She goes on to lose more babies, and then takes an overdose of sleeping pills on each baby's birthday every year. Yikes - intense, I know. Now, the woman who organized the basket is the sweetest, nicest ever, and I'm sure she'd be horrified if she knew what they sent me!! I'm also pretty glad I didn't watch this movie in the darkest days of my grieving. I don't think I'd have handled it very well then. It didn't make me upset watching it tonight, but more surprised I think. I can't recall any other movie or tv show that has mentioned babyloss (oh-except Marley and Me). I don't really know what I'm trying to say with this post, but I guess I'm surprised babyloss was mentioned in this movie, when it's so rarely talked about in our society.

3 comments:

  1. You will see it in places you least expect it, in places that you never saw it again.

    I'm glad this was ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that movie didn't hurt you. Just the other day I was talking with my husband about his grandmother (not biological), who had a stillborn baby and never had any other children. I wondered out loud if she couldn't have other children, like us, or if she just couldn't handle trying again. He said there must be a black cloud over out family because there have been so many losses. I told him no, it's just that common. It happens all the time, to so many undeserving people, but no one talks about it so it seems like a lightning strike when it happens to you.

    I can only think of one movie that mentions baby loss, but it was only a sidebar - it was the Butterfly Effect. It is such a shame that our literature and entertainment is so incredibly lacking in this subject. It baffles me. I suppose people are so scared it will happen to them that they pretend it doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like it could have been awful. i'm glad you coped with it ok.

    there is a list of possibly problematic films here:

    http://inannajourney.blogspot.com/2009/05/warning-labels.html

    ReplyDelete